Thank you to Pamela Q. Fernandes for a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.
When Althea meets Morgan Hunter at Muldoon’s pub for the first time, she thinks he’s a handsome, ego tripping, prissy-pants executive. She quickly rebuffs him only to find him thundering at her in the operation theater, the very next day. He’s dogged in his censure of her, but not immune to her allure. Through a snowy December Morgan courts Althea and wins her heart but not her trust.
When she travels with him at his request for Christmas to his home in Finesse, a tumble in the snow leads to the discovery of Morgan’s missing ex-girlfriend. Dead. Morgan pushes Althea away and she doesn’t understand his reasons.
Althea returns to build the new rural clinic in Finesse. She discovers the truth about Morgan’s heritage, the murdered ex-girlfriend and the secrets about the Hunter clan.
Can she save the man she loved from going to prison?
- I loved that this story felt like the perfect mashup of holiday romance and cozy mystery with a hint of medical drama sprinkled throughout.
- I loved that this read like a modern-day gothic.
- I loved that this book provided an entertaining diversion from the many Hallmark-esque reads I’ve been favoring this season.
- I loved that, despite the mention of Christmas, this is a perfect read for any season.
- I loved the wealthy family with secrets storyline. I was compelled to keep turning pages to find out what they were hiding.
- I loved the well-rounded cast of characters consisting of co-workers, friends, and family. Each personality shined through and created a three-dimensional story world.
- I loved the twists and turns that kept me guessing who murdered Morgan’s ex-girlfriend and that not one of my suspects was correct.
- I loved that the pacing was well developed. Each chapter ended with me wanting to read on to find out what would happen next.
- I loved that there were several times when I had to restrain myself from reading ahead. It all came together beautifully at the end and was worth waiting for.
This story is perfect for readers looking for a holiday/medical romance combined with a cozy mystery and elements of gothic fiction. It provides an entertaining diversion from the expected romances novels of the season. When Morgan invites Althea to his family’s home for Christmas, she finds herself entangled in a family’s web of lies and secrets. Readers will feel compelled to keep those pages turning until all is revealed. An intriguing cast of characters keeps the story moving at a fast pace and will have readers guessing up until the very end. Be prepared to want to read ahead!